Re: Run out of file descriptors

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 1998 12:43:29 +1000

This is actually an unpatched kernel. And it might be hard to describe this as
a busy proxy, since it peaks at about 40 clients. In a relative sense, anyway.
Although 40*4 is 160 (4 is the number of sockets the average browser opens to
fetch inline images) So, that's a peak of 160 connections, which would be 320
file-descriptors. Ouch. Assuming each is fetching only one page with at least
4 inline images, and they all do it at once. That blows the basic kernel limit
right there. Cache-hits will help reduce usage, so we've probably been eking
by up till now.

The question on my mind is why did the _system_ choke, instead of just squid?

--
Note to evil sorcerers and mad scientists: don't ever, ever summon powerful
demons or rip holes in the fabric of space and time. It's never a good idea.