Re: memory problem

From: Amos Shapira <amos@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 1998 23:53:16 +0200

In message <34AF806D.2CB97E5B@deh.de> you write:
|Hello,
|I've installed squid 1.1.18 on a Linux 2.0.32 machine
|with 256 MB RAM. There is high traffic on this proxy,
|about 12 GB in the last 3 days. My problem is, that
|the squid allocates more and more memory. If there
|is no more physical RAM the proxy becomes realy slow.

[ lots of relevant details deleted ]

I experience the same problems with identical versions (1.1.18, Linux
2.0.32, libc6, but also with older versions of everything, including
with libc5 (for those who still suspect libc6)). Curiously enough,
even though I saw some traffic about this in this forum, the problem
have not been addressed and seems to be ignored.

One peculiar point is the "mallinfo" section of the cache information:

Memory usage for squid via mallinfo():
        Total space in arena: 58360 KB
        Ordinary blocks: 52309 KB 71028 blks
        Small blocks: 1048599 KB 1073785664 blks
        Holding blocks: 260 KB 1 blks
        Free Small blocks: -1048578 KB
        Free Ordinary blocks: 6050 KB
        Total in use: 1101168 KB 1887%
        Total free: -1042528 KB -1785%

Are these percentages normal?

What I do for now is that I kill and restart squid once a day
(hopefully during the least busy time of the day in terms of number of
logged in users):

#!/bin/sh
/etc/init.d/squid stop
/usr/bin/killall squid
/etc/init.d/squid start

And the people who run the operation daily are satisfied with that,
though we all would like to see this problem fixed.

--Amos

--Amos Shapira | "Of course Australia was marked for
133 Shlomo Ben-Yosef st. | glory, for its people had been chosen
Jerusalem 93 805 | by the finest judges in England."
ISRAEL amos@gezernet.co.il | -- Anonymous