Re: Run out of file descriptors

From: Alvin Starr <alvin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 22:55:26 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Dancer wrote:
>
> > The question on my mind is why did the _system_ choke, instead of just squid?
>
> Probably because you hit a system limit before the per process limit. I
> am not sure that the problem in your case was out of filedescriptors.
> Squid running out of filedescriptors may have triggered it, but not
> caused the system to choke. maybe you ran out of memory as well?

We had a similar problem with squid on a busy site where we were using it
for http-acelleration. The max number of fd's in 2.0.x linux is 1024. The
only problem seems to be that there is someplace in the OS that is using
fd's so that at before you hit the real limit you end up hitting an
internal limit. by bumping up the number of fd's to 4k the problem went
away since we now never get close to the magical limit.

Alvin Starr || voice: (416)493-3325
Interlink Connectivity || fax: (416)493-7974
alvin@iplink.net ||