RE: ident_lookup and NT 4.0 WS

From: Redfern Ian <RedfernI@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 10:39:00 -0000

Windows NT doesn't provide support for RFC 931 identd. You can do
something equivalent using the Samba tools and nmblookup, but it's a
little tortuous. I use this to add NT user info to my logs, but I don't
use it for access control.

Basically, I have a process that tails access.log and copies it to
access.log.nmb, filling in the ident field with the results of a
(modified) suid nmb lookup; it then caches that value for a while to
avoid forever spawning new ones. Getting this to work reliably across
log rotations and restarts is a bit of a pain though, and I wouldn't
recommend it to anyone. Alas I haven't been able to wire this directly
into Squid yet.

Ian Redfern (redferni@logica.com).