Re: Auto config

From: Bill Wichers <billw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 13:37:27 -0500 (EST)

Microsoft (Macro$pend ;-) claims that MSIE is compatible with Netscape's
proxy.pac "spec". Users on this list have had all kinds of problems with
it, though. Apparently MSIE doesn't support most of the more interesting
features of the proxy.pac, and it doesn't always handle the simpler
functions correctly.

At my own sites I run a very stripped-down proxy.pac that does nothing
more than return three proxies (primary, secondary, and the DIRECT) for
HTTP, Gopher, and FTP requests that aren't destined for a local host. I'm
not using any of the nifty subnet fuctions and stuff, and it seems to be
working for me.

Of course all of my MSIE clients are dialup users (all of the real clients
with service contracts get browsers that work right :-), so if they're
having problems that don't result in service outages for them then I
probably won't hear about it.

        -Bill