Re: drive optimisation

From: Bill Wichers <billw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 00:40:01 -0500 (EST)

The UltraWide controller will let you plug in up to 15 devices (although
with fast drives 15 devices can saturate the channel). If you are planning
on running a large cache that will be serving a lot of users UltraWide
SCSI will probably help. If you used 4 4GB drives -- fast drives like
barracudas or Atlases, you'd be nearing the UW channel's limit of 40 MB/s.
Remember that the faster drives now can sustain 7-10 MB/s transfer rates!

My ultimate cache config would be RAID-5 config consisting of 9 GB
Seagate Cheetah drives all talking on a pair of UltraWide SCSI channels.

        -Bill