Re: Millenium proofed

From: Michael Pelletier <mikep@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 13:34:17 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Rodney van den Oever wrote:

> For all I know, Squid depends on the OS for date/time functions. Unix'
> end-of-time is around 2037, due to 32-bit register restrictions. It is to be
> expected most platforms will use 64 bits-registers around that time.

Heheh, where have we heard *that* before? ;-)

Actually, the only thing Squid really deeply cares about is numbers of
seconds -- number of seconds since the object was retrieved, seconds since
last request, time-to-live values, etc, and doesn't give a hoot which
century it is. Converting header dates, such as last-modified, expires,
etc, is done using UNIX routines like parsedate() and whatnot. The
parsedate() implementation on my system is good through 2021 for
two-digit dates.

But then, if an HTML header uses two-digit years in late 1999, Squid's not
to blame for what breaks. Even Microsoft's web server uses 4-digit years
in headers, so that should tell you something.

Also, some of the logfiles are written by Squid with two-digit years that
might confuse poorly-written logfile parsing routines when we hit 1/1/00,
but that doesn't relate to Squid source code per se, aside from the fact
that Squid could write four-digit dates to the logfiles in question.

        -Mike Pelletier.