Re: Not caching local domains

From: Michael Pelletier <mikep@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 14:28:48 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Mario de Mello Bittencourt Neto wrote:

> Hi, I use squid to act as a proxy and I would like to configure it not to
> use the cache when a client requests a URL of one of my local domains.
>
> I know I have the local_domain directive but a tail -f of access.log still
> shows the requests (even tough they have a DIRECT).

If your client browsers are configured statically to use the proxy, all
the requests for objects will come through the proxy. Telling the proxy
not to cache the object is not the same as telling the client to fetch the
object itself.

In order to get the local clients to talk directly to the local servers,
you need to use the "no proxy for" section of the proxy configuration
screen in the browser, or use the "proxy autoconfig" feature, where you
write a JavaScript program to look at the hostname being retrieved and
determine whether to use DIRECT or PROXY.

Docs for the proxy.pac are available at:

http://search.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/2.0/relnotes/demo/proxy-live.html

        -Mike Pelletier.