RE: You need to recompile with a larger value for MAX_SWAP_FILE

From: Gatt, Noel <Noel.Gatt@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 09:23:21 -0600

I really don't see why one needs to lower the value of
store_avg_object_size in squid.conf when error message says that you
need to rebuild squid with a larger value for MAX_SWAP_FILE. What is,
then, the relationship between these parameters ? In store.c,
MAX_SWAP_FILE is set as follows :

static int MAX_SWAP_FILE = 1<<21;

I tried to increase this value, but the problem persisted. I lowered the
value of store_avg_object_size instead and the error message
disappeared. However I noticed a performance degredation, especially
when set to 10. It's now up to 15, but I'm still not satisfied with the
response times. I'm running squid 1.1.19 under Linux.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Noel