Re: Blocking Port 80

From: Bill Wichers <billw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 18:12:31 -0500 (EST)

Basically you have 4 options:

1) Configure you most prominent router to redirect port 80 using packet
filtering rules. As I am not the router guy in my company, I have no idea
how to go about doing this.

2) Write a proxy.pac that points your user's browsers at your cache, and
then tell them all about it (this is how my systems all work).

3) Instruct all your users on how to manually set their browsers to use
your cache. I tried this once... One word: Arghhh! It's a very scary
concept.

4) Stick a Linux box in between your users and routers and use the
transparent proxy stuff that is now a part of the Linux kernel.

There are probably other ways to do it, but these are the ways I am
familiar with. I think option #2 above is the best way, and if you
absolutly MUST redirect the port, then you're probably best off doing it
in the router unless your users are going through linux boxes anyway.

        -Bill