RE: auto download

From: Andrew Daviel <andrew@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 15:09:15 -0800 (PST)

> THE tool to use for ftp/http downloads on a unix box is wget, do a search
> on las.gnu.net. I know there is a contrib RPM on RedHats site though...

At one point I found a tool called "Wcol", from Japan I think, that talked
ICP and was set as a sibling to Squid. It would automagically descend
links and do a prefetch, so doing a GET on a single list of popular pages
would load the cache up. I stopped using it as it seemed counter to the
objective if freeing up bandwidth - it would get a lot of pages that
no-one actually looked at - but it could boost the cache hit rate to 80%.
Maybe wget does descent too.

Andrew Daviel