Re: a random thought

From: Cefiar <cefiar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 00:53:45 +1100

At 09:13 13/01/98 +0530, S Prabhakar wrote:

>Squid's primary goal is to cache www objects and thereby reduce
>the network congestion...so far so good..How about extending
>it to normal ftp traffic too [ Think of everyone downloading latest
>a huge s/w and how much load it will put on ur network,
>so far solution to reduce this, by having a mirror site at local lan]
>
>If a proxy server[like squid] can handle this traffic too, may be it will
>look more complete...

I know what you're getting at, FTP proxy, not a HTTP based FTP proxy like
Squid is.

I'm game. Ain't got the time to develop it, but test it I can do, and I can
give lots of thoughts on how it should work. I suggested being able to use
a HTTP proxy to a few FTP client makers, and the only one that seems to
have done some sort of work on it is BulltProof FTP.

Basically, you need to be able to add into the Squid database the info,
which could be the hardest part of all.

| http://amarok.glasswings.com.au/ | cefiar@amarok.glasswings.com.au |
| Hmm? What? Earth technology? Oh just thump it, that usually works. |