Re: Multi-Homed Sites

From: Edwin Culp <eculp@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 11:16:14 -0600

Jamie Wilson wrote:

> Forgive me for thinking aloud:
>
> Does squid support (or have plans to support) some sort of parent
> selection method for sites which are multi-homed?
>
> That is, using BGP (?) a router can decide the best router for traffic
> to go to, right? Would it be possible for squid to work out the path a
> certain request should take, and, therefore, which parent it should use?
>
> I realise that it's possible to select parents on other criteria (such
> as the domain or the type of file) using acls...
>
> ...j

us po'folks south of the us border have been using squid as a very
viable
alternative to dynamic routing for our low bandwidth 1, 2, or 3 x
64kbps
multihomed ISP's and small companies and web cafe type businesses with
upto 5 or 6 unlimited dial-ups. Now if T-3's abounded, I'm sure our
perspective would change and we could justify 50 M. routing tables:-)

Squid does a wonderful job of distribuiting demand with out excessive
resources infact we even save a "little" with the caching thrown in at
no extra charge:-)

ed