Re: Slow responses

From: Rainer Klier <Rainer.Klier@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 10:46:23 +0100 (MET)

> I have a squid 1.1.18 running on a DEC alphaserver 800 box, with
> DEC unix 4.0b. The cache filesystem is 16GB.
>
> When the cache gets a lot of requests (it serves over 2 million requests
> each day, and at peak reaches nearly 50 requests per second) the response is
> horrible. Pages that can be fetced directly from the webserver
> may take a minute or two from the cache. There is no paging going on, and
> neither raw disk I/O nor network I/O seems to be a problem. Of my 16 dnsserver
> processes the last few are rarely used. CPU load rarely goes above 0.5.
>
> The only oddity I find is this line in cache.log, appearing every few seconds
> while the cache is busy.:
>
> 98/01/22 23:09:52| diskHandleWrite: FD 23: disk write error: (32) Broken pipe
>
> Is this related? Any idea what might be the problem?

We have the same problem here, running 1.1.20 on a HP/UX 10.20 machine.
At times of high load even TCP_HITs take up to 50 seconds (at least the
logfile says so) to be delivered to the clients. Request peak at our
site is about 20 requests per second and usually the machine has a load
of 0.7 or so. Maybe it is a general problem of squid with heavy load.

Rainer

--
   ______
  /|     |  Rainer Klier      | Wahr sind auch die Erinnerungen, die wir mit
	    URL   : http://www.franken.de/users/tychen/rrklier/