Re: META no-cache

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 00:05:50 +1000

Mario de Mello Bittencourt Neto wrote:

> Hi, this may be more browser/HTTP related than squid but...
>
> If I use a META Pragma nocache in a html file :
>
> a) How Squid is going to treat it ?
> No cache at all or just the HTML (images, sound clips will be cached)

It won't cache it. Embedded images will still be treated normally.

> b) How the browser understand this (assuming that they fetched the page
> directly, without any proxy setting) ?
> No cache at all or just the HTML (images, sound clips will be cached)

The browser will (alas) do whatever the hell it wants, including (but not
limited to): * Caching it.
    * Not caching it.
    * caching it and all the embedded stuff.
    * Not caching it and not caching any of the embedded stuff.

It all depends on the browser and what the user has told it to do.

If the data is a per-user sort of thing try 'Cache-Control: private'
instead of 'pragma: no-cache'. If you really don't want the base page
cached, try 'Cache-Control: no-store' instead of 'pragma: no-cache'. The
'pragma: no-cache' is a deprecated form, I believe.

Did you read the documentation AND the FAQ?
If not, I'll probably still answer your question, but my patience will
be limited, and you take the risk of sarcasm and ridicule.