Problems witn memory in Squid 1.1.20 & FreeBSD

From: Andre Nuno Soares <ans@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 14:58:08 +0000

Greetings all,

I have run into a problem with Squid 1.1.20 running in FreeBSD 2.2.5,
and also in 2.2.2:

When squid's process size gets to more or less 30M, the thing dies
with one of 3 messages:

FATAL: xcalloc: Unable to allocate 4096 blocks of 1 bytes!
FATAL: xmalloc: Unable to allocate 4536 bytes!

This happens on machines with 128 and 192 M of RAM, respectively, and
when top and vmstat both indicate i still have memory (30M used for
Cache...)
I read a very small and vage post on dejanews about using GNU libmalloc
when this happens, so could this be caused by the xcalloc and xmalloc?
The first error messages is very odd, and looks to me like a bug...

I apreciate all the help anyone can give me, since this is a very
urgent problem (I only detect this when the servers went into
production :((( )

Thanks in advance
Andre Soares

--