Re: OS survey

From: Daryl Lim <dlim@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 10:57:05 +0000

> Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 16:33:03 -0500 (EST)
> From: Abha Ahuja <ahuja@merit.edu>
> To: squid-users@nlanr.net
> Cc: Abha Ahuja <ahuja@merit.edu>
> Subject: OS survey

> I was curious to hear from other squid-users about their hardware
> and OS recommendations. We are currently running a Linux box (RedHat
> version 4.1, kernel upgraded to 2.0.33, Squid 1.1.20) And every so often,
> the squid process crashes for no apparent reason (we think it might be a
> possible kernel bug)... Also, we are doing some testing on a FreeBSD box
> as well.
>
> What have people used successfully? Has anyone seen the same problem with
> Linux? We are currently debating which OS to stick with. Any
> thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a smallish cache , but at times the load can increases in a short time .
School Cache :) . Running RedHat 4.1 with 2.0.29 (Although I upgraded the
kernel yesterday to 2.0.33) . Running Squid 1.1.18NOVM ..

Running on 2.0.29 it was quite stable but of course it isn't under a lot of
load . But at times I have seen file descriptors shoot through the roof from a
small dozen or so to almost a 120+ in just 5 minutes . I think it the students
pages :)

With premil tests I find that 2.0.33 can scale slightly better than 2.0.29

If I find squid going down with the new kernel 2.0.33 that might be a
explaination . I do have a backup proxy on a Sun but that was only really
required when my Linux server kept rebooting ... Faulty expensive power filter
was the cause :|

Daryl,

-=>Daryl Lim<=- -| email : daryl@genesis.pakuranga.school.nz