Re: Performance problem under Solaris

From: Javier Puche. CSIC RedIRIS <javier.puche@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 10:14:19 +0100

Hi,

> My problem is that my disk service time is still
> high (avg 100ms). Is that normal?

 Ok, I think is not too bad, at least that is what I used to have
before I turned on fast-writes on our disk-array, but I'm afraid you
can not do that on single disks. Now I have 40ms at peak hours (mesured
with sar -d)

> What I'd made so far:
> I made a small script to run "sync" every 5
> seconds. I also got rid of the store.log and
> changed the quick_abort back to its default.
> I'm just asking myself if I should use the
> gnu malloc().

 The sync-every-5-minutes hack for Solaris did not work at all for me.
 As far as I know gnu-malloc would help you with memory usage but
nothing about disk service time, that is, you should use it but do not
expect any improvement respecting I/O performance.

Regards,

Javier Puche.