Re: Is there a Squid port for NT going on?

From: Anthony Baxter <arb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 23:05:49 +1100

>>> "van der Stock, Andrew J" wrote
> But as in most projects, I'd be kidding myself if I could completely
> re-write this without your help. No ego is that big! :-) If there is
> someone working on threading squid for any operating system I'd love to
> hear from them. At a SAGE-AU meeting a while ago, one of the bods from
> either Access 1 or connect.com.au noted that someone was working on it.
> That was more than a year ago, however.

I know of two different people that have done fully threaded (ie one
request -> one thread) versions of squid. In both cases, they were slower
than the asyncio version of squid, mostly due to the contention between
threads, I think. The current asyncio mode, where anything that takes time
gets pushed out into a thread (allocated from a pool) is going to be hard
to improve on for speed.

A thread-per-request model is going to be simpler to code and work with,
but it really does require splitting squid up into smaller components, to
push things like the file i/o out of the main code.

Anthony

--
Anthony Baxter        development manager
arb@connect.com.au    connect.com.au Pty Ltd