Re: New Squid/comments

From: Steve Pinel <spinel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 12:46:44 +0000

At 02:01 PM 2/6/98 -0600, Brian wrote:
>On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Tuomo Pyhala wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Brian wrote:
>>
>> > 2. Is there a simple way to "force" the squid on users? Maybe by some how
>> > redirecting outgoing port 80 requests at the Cisco, back to squid? I am
>> > just interested in seeing how the squid does with *all* of our users
using
>> > it. Since I just turned it on, its going to be quite a while before I
get
>> > thousands of users to go in and configure there browsers to point to our
>> > auto-config file.
>>
>> We are using Squid, and we denied all outgoing http-connections except
>> from host running the Squid. Quite effective making users to use
>> squid :) Of course, this might cause you some extra phone calls from
>> lusers asking why their browser stopped working :)
>>

>But you *can* redirect at the Cisco, all port requests back to the squid.
>This is what I am trying to do, but it doesnt seem to be working. Yes its
>going to give your router a workout, especially a 2500 series, but the
>extra latency might be made up by having your cache majorly optimized by
>the increased usage.

Is this what i want to do, perhaps? At our college, most staff members
have laptops with dial in conenctions at home (through an independent ISP),
and LAN connections on campus. If they setup their browsers to use the
proxy at college, all their browsing from home will have to some through
our small ISDN line to the campus, and back out again.

So what I gather from this posting is that I can set up their browsers with
no proxy, and redirect http requests on campus through our proxy at the
router.

Right?

Steve Pinel <>< |
Computer Coordinator | God our Strength
Saint Stephen's College | Excellence our Pursuit
Coomera, Gold Coast |