Squid 1.1.20 with DNS load balancing.

From: Edwin Culp <eculp@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 16:49:55 -0600 (CST)

I have a squid 1.1.20 on FreeBSD 2.2.5 release of Feb.3,1998
that has a parent that is really 5 squid's 1.3beta11 configured
with the DNS for load sharing. When I start the child squid,
it distributes the load equally between the 5 parent squid's.
With cachemgr.cgi the IP Cache Contents show the HOSTNAME
with the 5 ip's corresponding to the 5 squids. Little by
little, for some reason that I haven't been able to find,
the IP Cache drop's from 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 to 1. Which
doesn't distribute the load the way it was designed although
they are interconected as siblings, only the cache's in the
IP Cache fetch directly.

There must be a way to keep this from happening. There is
probably a time-out or something that I should adjust, but
I haven't been able to find it. The only solution is to
restart squid and that is not optimal. Any suggestions
will be appreciated.

TIA

ed