Re: Squid server with 2 cards

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 20:01:04 +0100

Alik Yuswanto wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I'm running squid version 1.1.20 and my server have 2 nic cards. One is for
> handling the request (167.x.x.x) and the other for serving the request
> (202.x.x.x).
> I want to edit my squid.conf but I don't know the syntax/command for that
> purpose.

It is possible that you do not need to configure squid.conf. In most
cases a proper routing table is the way to go. You can only tell Squid
which IP is should listen/send from, not wich card the host should use
to send/receive the data.

If you don't tell squid which IP to use, then the traffic will use the
IP of the card it is routed throught.

In normal use the only reason why you should bind Squid to specific IP's
is when you want to limit squid to one NIC/virtual address, to allow
other servers to run on the same port on other addresses.

The second reason is when you run a parented Squid on a firewall, and
want to isolate the HTTP port to the inside by security reasons.

Apart from these two situations, there is very few cases where it is
neccesary to tell Squid to use a specific IP address for any of it's
functions.

You should not set the tcp/upd addresses in squid.conf unless you are
absolutely sure why, and how it affects Squid in your configuration.

---
Henrik Nordström
Sparetime Squid Hacker