Multiple IP addresses from DNS

From: Micah Beck <mbeck@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 08:43:54 -0500

I'm interested in modifying Squid's behavior when there more than one
IP address is returned from the DNS, so I thought it good to analyze it first.
From reading the code, I came up with this characterization:

     1. All returned IP addresses are stored in a list
     2. The first element of the list is always used
     3. If the first element of the list is bad, the last element of the
        list is then copied to the first element and the length of the list
        is decreased.
     4. When the length of the list reaches zero, that's bad.

Can anyone verify that I have this right, or tell me if I've got it wrong?
I'm planning to experiment with the use of SONAR to choose the closest one.
Has anyone tried something similar?

Micah Beck
mbeck@utk.edu

Assistant Professor