Re: DNS Failure Messages

From: Tilman Schmidt <Tilman.Schmidt@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 15:02:04 +0000

At 14:22 17.02.98 GMT, you wrote:
>When making
>requests for some sites, on occasion squid returns an error message
>to the user stating that the lookup failed - and that this proably
>means that the site doesnt exist. In most cases the site does exist,
>and a quick check using nslookup on the same server finds the address
>without any problems.

Just an idea - I just had two users in a row complaining for much the
same reason. Turned out they both tried to access a secure page and
had entered my Squid as HTTP proxy, but not as Security proxy, in their
browser setup. So all went well as long as they did only regular HTTP
accesses, but for SHTTP the browser would try to connect directly, and
fail with a DNS error. (My users cannot make direct outside connections,
only through the proxy, and DNS isn't available to them.)

--
Tilman Schmidt          E-Mail: Tilman.Schmidt@sema.de (office)
Sema Group GmbH                 tilman@schmidt.bn.uunet.de (private)