Re: shift+reload in MSIE

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 21:59:27 +1000

Brian wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, Antony wrote:
>

> > > In netscape to make sure a RELOAD does not come from netscapes internal
> > > cache, you hold down SHIFT + RELOAD. How do you do this same task in
> > > MSIE?
> >
> > SHIFT + REFRESH
> >

> My users tell me that although in Netscape this works, in MSIE it still
> grabs stale content................any ideas?
>
> Brian

Just as a thought, if the users are on a fast network with the proxy (as opposed to
dialup, for example), have them turn their caching (in their browsers) off or down to as
near zero, as it will go. This still doesn't prevent the problem with MSIE, but it may
minimize it. It shifts the decisions about content to the proxy, at least, which we
trust a little more.

Also, an off-the-wall suggestion. Later versions of MSIE have some HTTP/1.1 config
options under advanced settings. There's one that comes to mind (I don't have MSIE, so I
can't tell you for certain) that reads something like 'use http/1.1 through a proxy
server'. If it's on, try turning it off. If it's off, try turning it on. If it works,
let me know. I'd be curious.

Did you read the documentation AND the FAQ?
If not, I'll probably still answer your question, but my patience will
be limited, and you take the risk of sarcasm and ridicule.