Q: why getting 'contacting cache-host' message

From: Harald Falkenberg <hfalken@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 18:03:48 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

several times I encountered a message in the netscape screen, that says
        contacting cache-host
and remains on the screen for a certain time. The period is between a few
seconds and an half minute. In general the network between the browser
host and the cache server machine is very well.

So I like to ask how I can get rid of this messages and the hangups of the
browser? Is this a network, network interface or squid problem?

background:
        - squid version 1.1.18
        - server OS: Sun ultra sparc 2.5.1
        - network interface: FDDI
        - cache size: 7 Gb
        - netscape version 2 - 4
        - netscape using auto proxy configuration

Some times I encountered a message that tells me that netscape can't load
the auto-config file. But this my be another problem.

bye
        Harald