Re: squid.1.NOVM.20+retry memory usage report bug

From: Michael Pelletier <mikep@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 15:57:28 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Lionel Bouton wrote:

> Since I upgraded from NOVM.17+retry to NOVM.20+retry, I noticed that the
> amount of memory reported by cachemgr.cgi for 'Pool for disk I/O'
> started to grow. It was usually under 200/300KB with NOVM.17 but now it
> is over 20 MB. I suspected that the real amount of memory used was
> nearly the same between 17 and 20 because the process's size was around
> 32-35 MB for both versions. Now I'm pretty sure it is the case because
> the amount of memory reported by cachemgr.cgi is greater than the size
> of the process. And the difference keeps growing...

Based on what I recall Mike Mitchell saying, the 1.NOVM.20+retry patch is
pretty much identical to the 1.NOVM.17+retry patch, just with a few tweaks
to make it apply properly. I'm sifting through the details of the new
#ifdef-ified NOVM patch to insure that there's no unintentional
differences right now... Nothing aside from the extra #ifdef lines and a
couple of spaces here and there are present in the new ifdef patch.

Has anyone running the pre-February 23 version of the 1.NOVM.20+retry
patch observed this problem?

My VM version running the #ifdef'd patch is clicking along just fine, with
low disk I/O pools, for what that's worth. Not quite sure how the VM
version compares with the NOVM version in this regard.

        -Mike Pelletier.