Re: Squid as a simulator

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 14:35:44 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Yee Man Chan wrote:

> Are there any modified Squid that can read in popular web server's
> log file and then produce its own log files for us to analyze? If
> there are any of these amazing softwares out there, please give me
> URL, so I can download them.

squid/test-suite/tcp-banger2.c from squid 1.2 distribution as a stand-alone
program that reads a list of URLs and submits them to any Web proxy as GET
requests. [ You can get a list of URLs from a Web server log using unix "cut"
command or a simple script. ] Squid or any other proxy executes those
requests as if they are coming from a single [extremely active] client. You
may run several copies of tcp-banger at once.

tcp-baner2.c does not model a realisitc workload so be very careful with
interpreting the results. :)

Proxy benchmarks may be considered as more realistic simulators, but, as of
today, I would not trust them much either. It all depends on what you want to
"analyze", of course.

Alex.

P.S. An older Perl script, "squid/scripts/tcp-banger.pl" is similar, but it
does not use select().