Re: NOVM-1.1.20 ftpget problem

From: Harry Venema <harry@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 10:50:31 +0000

Harry Venema wrote:

> I am setting up a squid proxy server (NOVM-1.1.20) on a RedHat 4.2
> Linux server
> But I have encountered a problem with ftpget i can't explain.
> It takes minute's to get a directory listing on the clients webbrowser
> (Netscape 4.04 Linux) screen.
> Also when retrieving a 1K file it takes minutes to get the data to
> the browser.
> A FTP session bypassing the squid proxy shows the directory contents
> almost immediately and transfering the data takes not even a second.
>
> It looks like that the data is send to the client only after a timeout
> occcurs in ftpget.
>
> Anyone ever encountered the same problem and knows a cure for it?

Problem solved it was a firewall that was causing the delay of the
data.

Harry Venema               | VCD Services B.V
email: harry@vcd.nl        | Osloweg 131
URL  : http://www.vcd.nl   | 9723 BK Groningen, the Netherlands
#include <stddisclaimer.h> | Voice +31 50 5975500 Fax: +31 50 5975597
... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore
strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4