Re: squid.conf (udp_incoming/outgoing_address)

From: Matthew Petach <mattp@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 17:41:42 -0800 (PST)

Recently, Henrik Nordstrom talked about "Re: squid.conf (udp_incoming/outgoing_address)", and said

> You don't need to configure any of them.
>
> The primary use is if you want to run more than one Squid on the same
> host (on different IP addresses).
>
> A secondary use (althougt not recommended) is if you want to shield off
> your Squid by forcing it to only listen on a internal interface.

Hm. Can the tcp_incoming_address be set to 0.0.0.0
to have Squid listen for incoming connections sent
to ANY ip address on port 80 when running in
acceleration mode, to act as a transparent
proxy without needing the ip firewall/NAT
address translation portion?

It's been a long day, and my brain is fried, so I'm
sure I'm way off base, but it would seem that you
could simply bind to 0.0.0.0, listen for any incoming
connection to port 80, and be done with it, no more
futzing with ipfwadm...

> ---
> Henrik Nordström
> Sparetime Squid Hacker

Matt

--
InterNex Information Services   |           Matthew Petach {MP59}
Senior Network Engineer         |           mpetach@internex.net