SGI/IRIX timeout problem

From: Barry Byrne <barry@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 23:08:29 +0000

Hi,

I'm having a strange problem getting Squid proxy server to run under
IRIX. I've set up servers on Solaris and FreeBSD without any trouble,
but the two SGI boxes I've tried (IRIX 6.3 and 6.4) are causing trouble.

Whenever a connection is attempted to a machine outside of our network
(Class C), squid fails to connect, and reports a TIMEOUT error in the
log after about 30 seconds. If I issue a 'netstat' command while Squid
is attempting the connection, I see a local network broadcast entry on
the http port, with a SYN_SENT status.

i.e. something like this (sorry, I don't have access to the system now)

Local Address Remote Address
localhost.1234 x.y.z.255.http SYN_SENT

where my class C is x.y.z.0

This happens regardless of whether I have specified Squid to use an
upstream proxy or not. This seems odd to me since on other servers, I
just see a connection to either the upstream proxy or directly to the
host in question.

Squid correctly handles local network requests by letting the client
connect directly.

Any clues on fixing this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Barry Byrne
Dublin, Ireland - barry@indigo.ie

--