Re: cache_host_acl and bgp

From: Eric Stern <estern@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 13:09:47 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Ian Simpson wrote:

> Can anyone inform me of the purpose of the
> USE_SPLAY_TREE and USE_BIN_TREE compile options? Or where can I find
> relevant docs?

From the FAQ (http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/FAQ/FAQ-3.html)

USE_SPLAY_TREE

    By default, Squid stores IP access list entries as a linked-list.
Linear searches on these lists may be inefficient. This
    optionally-compiled code stores IP access lists as SPLAY trees. No
analysis has been done to prove that this implementation is
    significantly more efficient, however.

USE_BIN_TREE

    Another option to linear linked-lists of IP access controls. With this
option, binary balanced trees are used to store the access
    lists.

These routines only seem to be used in acl.c, so I would gather that
people with large acl lists could benefit from them.

/ Eric Stern - PacketStorm Technologies - (519) 837-0824 /
/ http://www.packetstorm.on.ca /
/ WebSpeed - a transparent web caching server - available now! /