Re: automatically registered Squids?

From: Bill Wichers <>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 17:49:59 -0500 (EST)

From the default squid.conf:

# This is how frequently to send cache announcements. The default
# is `0' which disables sending the announcement messages.
# To enable announcing your cache, just uncomment the line below.
#cache_announce 24

There's your answer :-)

Note that the announcement is a UDP packet and is often lost if your
cache/connection is heavily loaded. I set mine to 12 hours (cache_announce
12) or else it was lost most of the time. 12 hours makes sure that the
packet is sent once during the low point in the day.