Re: Apache's CacheNegotiatedDocs?

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 22:34:37 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 14 Mar 1998, Dancer wrote:

> Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> >
> > Dancer wrote:
> > > If you fetch one version of a document under (say) content
> > > negotiation, then another version fetched under content
> > > negotiation will appear to have the same last-modified time,
> > > regardless of reality. S'just how Apache does it.
> >
> > I assume that Apache sends Vary: headers when doing content-negotiation
> > (it should, at least when there is more than possible object for the
> > URL)?
>
> Apparently not. This was from the Apache FAQ.

Erm... no. Please provide an exact citation for that in the FAQ since I'm
sure not aware of it being there.

Apache does send Vary: headers.

The only thing that CacheNegotiatedDocs does is not set an expires header
to indicate it expires right now. This is really obsolete with HTTP/1.1
support and with 1.0 proxies that support more headers than the base 1.0
spec includes.

Example header w/o CacheNegotiatedDocs:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK