Re: DNS server + Transparent Proxy

From: Michael Samuel <michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 21:18:41 +1100 (EST)

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, A.Saeed wrote:

> But the problem is that Sometimes when our users write
> www.yahoo.com in their browsers and press enter --->
>
> then it says
>
> Looking up www.yahoo.com
> and it remain in that position for sometime but after pressing serveral
> enters things become fine and when it finds it the page it always come
> like bullets.

The problem with transparent proxying, is that the Client (eg. Netscape)
needs to do a DNS lookup, then it goes through the proxy cache (which will
do another one, but it will be quicker in most normal configurations, as
the dns lookup will be cached).

If they set their browsers to go directly to the proxy, rather than
transparently proxying them, it will be a lot faster.

I look at it as the price they pay for not going directly through the
proxy :-)

Michael Samuel,

Surf-Net City - Internet Cafe and Internet Service Providers
Phone: +61 3 9593-9977
E-Mail: <michael@surfdirect.com.au>
WWW: http://www.surfnetcity.com.au/~michael/