Re: ICP_OP_ADVERTISE (*) Usage in Squid 1.2

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 11:03:00 -0700

Mark White writes:

>Are there any plans to allow for the storage of objects located on "peers"
>caches utilising the ICP_OP_ADVERTISE (*) and ICP_OP_UNADVERTISE (*)
>
>I'm not talking about coding squid to handle these, but more allowing space
>in the object storage tables for say the IP address of the machine which
>has these objects? so future development in this area will minimise the
>need for a store rebuild.

I haven't given a lot of thought into supporting ICP_OP_ADVERTISE
and ICP_OP_UNADVERTISE for Squid. However, at first look it seems
that it would best be implemented as an entirely new, separate
data structure (hash table, whatever). So I don't think we would
need to allocate future space in any current structures/files.

Also, with 1.2 we have the ability to place variable-sized
meta data in the object swapfiles. For example, URLs now
go here and only MD5's are written to the "swap.state" files.

Duane W.