Re: transparent cisco configuration

From: Dermot John Bradley <bradley@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 09:44:44 -0600 (MDT)

Laszlo Vecsey wrote:

>I'm probably going to end up writing a util to make a test connection to
>the proxy server periodically.

For an all linux solution what about running a modified transproxy on the
"gateway" in conjunction with lbnamed (Perl-based DNS server with load
checking) so that port 80 traffic arriving on the linux box is redirected
via DNS lookup to one or more squid boxes. The modified transproxy would
redirect to a DNS name (i.e. cache-server) and lbnamed would resolve this
to one or more IP's. Lbnamed would periodically ping and echoping the
cache boxes and only return IPs for those "alive".

Gateway redundancy could be implemented by having more than one "gateway"
announcing default routes with various metrics.

Comments (by email if possible as I read the list via the WWW archive)?

--
Dermot Bradley
bradley@oldcolo.com, bradley@debian.org