Squid Upgrade

From: Graham Somers <gsomers@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 19:36:49 +0200

Hi

I recently successfully upgraded our cache from squid 1.1.17 to 1.1.20+retry
keeping the same cache data. The cache hits for our proxy remained at a 3 month average of 37.9%.

We have just upgraded the machine's storage devices and restarted the cache on a new 5G scsi device. The cache hits are now sitting at about 31%. We have been running for at least a comparable length of time and there is more data in the cache than before.
The squid.conf has not changed other than the larger cache size and proportionally more memory.
We are not running out of file descriptors and there does not seem to be anything untoward in the cache.log

The machine is running Linux 2.0.29 (Slackware)

Is squid 1.1.20+retry less efficient than the older versions or am I missing something in the configuration.

Any ideas?

Graham