Re: Managing large http_access lists: alternative methods

From: Scott Lystig Fritchie <fritchie@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 02:46:32 -0500

>>>>> On Tue, 14 Apr 1998 13:12:32 +1000, Dancer <dancer@brisnet.org.au> said:

d> Indeed. Being a lazy guy at heart (mark my words: Fitness
d> enthusiasts did not invent power-tools, or escalators) I look for
d> simple, straightforward solutions...on the principle that they are
d> likely to be less fragile than more complex solutions, as well as
d> more maintainable.

I'm not exactly looking for more reasons to aggravate the RSI problems
I've already got. Less typing is better, from many perspectives.

However, there's an aspect of what I'm scheming to do which could help
kill multiple birds with one stone. For the nonce, I've got a big
list of customer networks for whom we'll do third-party SMTP relay. I
really want to shrink that list, but laziness and customer inertia
make it difficult to get rid of it. (I can hear it already, much as
the BOFH in me would like to do it. "You mean we must have our *own*
SMTP 'smart host' now? {gulp}")

With a very few modifications to my Sendmail config file, I could use
the same squidok.mr.net quasi-in-addr.arpa zone both for Squid access
control and Sendmail SMTP relay control. Since maintaining separate
copies of the flat ASCII file (and its DBM index files) on multiple
SMTP servers is a pain, distributing that info via DNS is appealing.

Gadz, this idea might actually be useful in its perversity. :-)

-Scott