Re: "The users are getting dumber..."

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 22:41:30 +1000

Small as it might be, I put my voice with David's. Although the users
aren't getting any dumber (really), they aren't getting any smarter or
better-informed, either.

And, yes, I have a feature vote for squid 1.2 that deals with
error-messages. It's built around the query raised a few weeks ago about
custom error-pages.

Would it be possible for Squid 1.2 to add a header-field to an error
message, specifying the type (and cache-id, and other operational
details) of an error, so that a hierarchy descendant can choose to
substitute it's own custom file (with the supplied data)?

Say:

Umm..Stupid phrasing. I know it's possible to do. Does it look like a
good idea, though? One or two of us patching our squid proxies to do
this is not going to be worth it...it would have to be a generic feature
to be of any real use.

You see, I have all these squid error files carefully typed out
explaining errors in nice, friendly language...but as part of a
hierarchy, where only our local pages will ever be -not- fetched from a
parent, those error-files will almost never be seen by a user. :(