Re: Squid vs. Netscape Proxy

From: Jordyn A. Buchanan <jordyn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 16:34:13 -0400

At 4:26 PM -0400 4/20/98, Michael Pelletier wrote:

>I think that the first question to ask would be whether the requirement
>for three servers and load-balancing is simply to compensate for the
>inadequacies of the Windows NT operating system platform -- or whether a
>single hefty server running a UNIX-derived operating system could handle
>the entire workload of three Windows NT systems.

A single hefty UNIX system won't provide the redundancy of multiple NT
systems even if it provides similar performance. Of course, the logical
thing to do is to get multiple UNIX servers as opposed to a bunch of NT
servers, but I'm not really sure that NT was specified at a previous point
in this thread.

With an application like squid that is usually I/O-bound, it's often
easiest to get a performance boost by setting up multiple servers as
opposed to a single server with incredible performance. Redundancy is also
gained through this route, which is a real plus.

Jordyn

|Jordyn A. Buchanan mailto:jordyn@bestweb.net |
|Bestweb Corporation http://www.bestweb.net |
|Director of Technology +1.914.271.4500 |