Re: ACL ban list ?... (fwd)

From: Rodney D. Holm <rodneyh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 09:46:43 -0600 (MDT)

> I would be interested in hearing of any out-of-the-ordinary (ie, URL
> re-writing to take advantage of mirrors) uses of the redirector facility,
> and how it's working for people.
>
> We currently have a custom written proxy that does a number of checks on
> each URL ("child-safety" settings, time controls, etc.) based on the user
> accessing the URL. At first glance I think it would be necessary to modify
> squid to pass a bit more information to the redirector, but that shouldn't
> be a major task.
>
> Any general comments on this? I'm quite sure squid's up to the task, as
> long as our redirector is zippy enough.
>
> ....j

We have modified squid slightly to send the service part of the request
IE ftp, http, wais to the redirector. We also send the server hostname and in
the redirector turn it into the destination IP address of the server we want
to go to. The modifications to squid were fairly straight forward.

Our redirector is used to pass the request to a piece of third party software
that does the decision making on wether or not the person can surf to the site
they are requesting or not, it is small ~11k.

Rodney D. Holm                  rodneyh@apexxtech.com
Apexx Technology, Inc.          http://www.apexxtech.com