Re: Geez.... such stresstesting!

From: John Lauro <jlauro@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 98 09:02:13 -0500

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998 18:15:47 +1000, Mr. Corn Hole e Yoh wrote:

>> I've got to compile it with poll instead, and get the hacks so
>> the machine'll boot. I figure that the absolute maximum upper
>> limit is 1024 hits per second.
>
>I daresay even 1/3 of that for a lowly PPro box would be a very respectable
>figure. Anyone who runs large webfarms care to share what their incoming
>traffic's like? I know ftp.cdrom.com supports 3200+ users suckin' through
>ftp, but that's not quite the same thing...
>
>I imagine something DEC or Sun would be the incoming conns/sec leader.... but
>a PC shitbox sustaining 300-500 conns/second's not too too shabby.

Apparently Novell's BorderManager running on a lowly PPRO-200 will take
a Sun Enterprise 3000 server serving 550 requests/second and accelerate
it to 3288 requests/second. (4055/sec for a PII-266)
(see
http://www.mindcraft.com/perfreports/proxy-cache/novell/fastcache/accele
rate-sun-comp.html if you want the details)

Given the numbers Novell can get, 1/3 that is more then a reasonable
goal... When I get a chance, sometime in the next month I plan to
setup a couple of test boxes and compare squid to bordermanager
fastcache on identical hardware. (Biggestest drawback for
bordermanager compared to squid is it isn't free, but you can download
a 45 day eval).