too many DIRECTs

From: Javier Puche. CSIC RedIRIS <javier.puche@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:52:12 +0200

Hi all,

 We are worried now here about some caches having only one parent, via
ICP, but going DIRECT too many times (~30%). Then I see that in the
logs there are DIRECTs that:

- do not match hierarchy stop list.
- are GET request.
- do not match local_domain neither local_ip.
- the cache is not using ICMP
- its parent cache is up.

 so, what other reasons are for that cache not to ask the parent before
going direct ?? (we have checked it does not ask, as in the Server list
at cachemgr.cgi it says 100% pings acked)

 I can guess:

- Pages with pragma no-cache being refresh. But this should not be that
high percentage.

 The guy running that cache tells me most of those requests logged have
no mime-type (-), but I do not see any possible relation.

 Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Javier Puche.