Re: 304 Not modified

From: Marc van Selm <selm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 18:11:51 +0200

At 11:56 AM 4/23/98 +0200, Riccardo Cozzani wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have just install squid 1.2.beta19-1. I edited squid.conf like my old
>one, but when I try to fetch some documents I had previous fetched, I
>receive this message:
>
>304 Not modified
>
>The document has not been modified, you can use your local copy. HTTP/1.0
>304 Not modified Date: Thu,
>23 Apr 1998 09:48:27 GMT Server: WebSitePro/1.1h Accept-ranges: bytes
>
>Could you please let me know what I'm doing wrong?

Nothing wrong but the request was an IMS (if modified since) to the server.
The server replied "your cached file is still OK so use it". When files are
fresh this request to the server isn't done. If a file is stale an IMS is
done and the server could decide to tell you that's still OK (a proxy or a
browser has to validate the file with the server in those cases)

Marc

>Thanks,
>Riccardo
Marc van Selm
NATO C3 Agency
Communication Systems Division, A-Branch
E-Mail: marc.van.selm@nc3a.nato.int
Private: selm@cistron.nl, selm@het.net, http://www.cistron.nl/~selm