Re: troubles with Squid

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 14:48:07 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, John A. Lauro wrote:

> The above ratio looks too high, even for solaris. On my system,
> page faults is slightly (15-20%) less then TCP connections. (some TCP
> connections result in IMS hits, so no physical I/O, assuming it
> wasn't swapped out by the OS).

Not exaclty. All IMS hits (mostly 304 and 200 replies) require at least one
disk I/O to read HTTP headers from disk. 200 IMS hits actually fetch the
whole object from disk (Squid still considers it a "hit" since nothing was
fetched over the outbound network).

There are so called "memory hits" when no disk I/O has been made. However,
Squid does not tag memory hits for non-internal objects.

Some negative hits and non-cachable misses may not require a disk I/O, but,
again, it is hard to isolate those cases using just "fgrep" and "access.log".

Alex.