TCP conn./Page faults ratio (was: Re: troubles with Squid)

From: Tomasz Papszun <papszun@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 17:35:08 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Dirk Vleugels wrote:

> Solaris will do _all_ the disk IO via pagein/pageout. So these number
> is by no means a sign that your squid binary get paged to disk very
> frequently.
> >
> > Can anybody confirm such ratio is normal for Solaris?
> Yup.
> Some hints for Solaris & Squid:
> (very worth reading!!)
> http://www.rvs.uni-hannover.de/people/voeckler/tune/EN/tune.html
> Check out the ndd values for /dev/tcp (ndd /dev/tcp \?).
> I tuned the tcp_conn_req_* queue values and the tcp_close_wait_interval
> (to get rid of the huge number of sockets in FIN_WAIT2 state).
> Also check /etc/system. ncsize & set ufs_inode could help alot on
> non stripe disks.
> Solaris 2.5.1 with all suggested patches works like a charme.

Hello,
thanks to all who replied my question which sounded:
"Can anybody confirm such ratio is normal for Solaris?".
All these nice people Cc:'ied to the list so you know their names :-) .

Although I'm a little worried because majority of replies stated that this
ratio should *not* be so high even for Solaris, I tend to rely on
Dirk Vleugels' message (because it is comfortable for me thinking that
it's *not* my machine's fault ;-) ).

Provided there's no any obvious misconfiguration at my box, this must be
the way Solaris is.
Situations after 8 days since reload is (excerpts from cachemgr output):

Squid Object Cache: Version 1.1.21
        Number of TCP connections: 43102
        Number of UDP connections: 150832
        Connections per hour: 1005.2
        Storage Swap size: 917 MB
        Storage Mem size: 13799 KB
        CPU Time: 2054 seconds (1091 user 963 sys)
        CPU Usage: 0%
        Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
        Page faults with physical i/o: 122941

So, nr of page faults is almost 3 times bigger than nr of TCP connections!
As you see, the squid is rather *not* overloaded (1000 conn/h).
The machine itself is quite workless. No users on it.

/# w | head -1
  4:51pm up 8 day(s), 1:32, 2 users, load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.04

/# vmstat -s|tail -4
   975690 user cpu
   805546 system cpu
 66974419 idle cpu <<<<<<<<
   915468 wait cpu

/# swap -l
swapfile dev swaplo blocks free
/dev/dsk/c0t3d0s1 32,25 8 263080 120160

/# swap -s
total: 76608k bytes allocated + 9656k reserved = 86264k used, 90796k
available

64 MB RAM;
SunOS name 5.5.1 Generic_103640-12 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-20

cache_mem 8
cache_swap 1000
maximum_object_size 20480

Yes, I know that maximum_object_size is bigger than cache_mem but I do
want to store big objects and I get "WARNING: Exceeded 'cache_mem' size"
only a few times a day. But maybe this is the cause of many page
faults?...

I've just been getting hints mentioned (since about an hour)
http://www.rvs.uni-hannover.de/people/voeckler/tune/EN/tune.html
but the transfer is extremely low and connection breaks again and again -
probably all "list-eners" download it right now ;-) .
But even if I get all this page, it won't be easy for me to tune the
system, I'm afraid - I've got too little Solaris experience. Dirk's tips
say _what_ to check but one must know what values _should_ be! :-) .

Thanks again and sorry for the long message.

Tomek
-- Tomasz Papszun, Lodz, Poland tomek@lodz.tpsa.pl