Re: Squid Disinformation

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 23:24:16 +0200

Stewart Forster wrote:

> All it's saying is that Squid doesn't have transparancy (which it
> doesn't as a base system, some OS mods or extra software is required
> to get it to me transparant), and that other freeware "is not dynamic,
> scalable or offer the performance".

Yes, it is true that Squid needs additional software to operate. Squid
is not a completely self-contained product as it requires a OS and all
the tools you need to manage that OS.

Transparency support does require additional software, but it is
standard freeware which is often included in freeware OS:es..

Wee all know that Squid is
* good performance
* scalable
* dynamic (1)

Squid does support transparecy, provided that the platform you use to
run Squid is capable of hosting transparent proxies (Linux is a good
example). If transparent proxy support is not available on the platform,
then ipfilter (another standard freeware) can be used to add that
capability to many platforms.

Note 1: Squid is dynamic in the sense that it detects when a configured
peering cache is dead and when it comes alive again. There is some
ongoing thoughts on how to improve the dynamic features of Squid to ease
scaling and maintaince.

--
Henrik Nordström
Sparetime Squid Hacker