Re: Transparent Proxy

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 02:19:16 +1000

Jordan Mendelson wrote:

> > On Thu, May 14, 1998 at 03:16:57PM +0000, Markus Sabadello wrote:
> > : I am interested in the experimental 'transparent proxy' feature of
> > : newer Linux kernels, and I wondered if this could be used to make
> > : browsers go through proxys without knowing it. I configured my
> > : intranet gateway to redirect every port 80 connections to local port
> > : 8080 (squid port) and I told my browser NOT to use a proxy. It worked
> > : well; when I tried to connect to home.netscape.com:80, the connection
> > : was redirected to my local intranet gateway at port 8080, but the
> > : problem was that my browser sent the following lines:
> > :
> > : GET / HTTP/1.0
> >
> > Yes, it's not enough to redirect the request. You must rewrite the
> > request to the complete url. There exists a little daemon `trproxyd' or
> > `transproxy' doing that.
> >
> > 0/0 80 redirect -> 81 -> tproxyd -> 8080
>
> Linux does not require such a daemon (and for the life of me I can't figure
> out why people keep bringing it up). All that is required to setup
> transparent proxies under Linux is to compile it into the kernel and use:

No, linux doesn't require it. But HTTP does, because a proxy-aware
request and a non-proxy-aware request follow two different syntaxes.
Transparent proxying is something altogether different (although not
incompatible with, and often quite useful with) HTTP proxying.

tproxyd is an http request reformatter designed to make use of linux's
transparent proxying featureset.