Re: striping?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 14:17:19 +0200

Ernst Heiri wrote:

> What's the difference between 1.1.X and 1.2 causing this ?
> (I'm still using 1.1.20 and have no experience with 1.2)

The major difference is that 1.2 maintains each cache directory
separately. You can add/remove cache directories as needed without
wiping your cache. Squid automatically adjusts and balances the usage on
the available cache directories.

Performance differences:
* There is is ongoing work to balance the I/O load evenly on each cache
directory.
* Squids I/O pattern is more suited for one cache directory per disk
than a stripe. Squid primarily needs to be able to read/write at many
different places at the same time (==lots of seeks) and keeping one
operation/object isolated to one disk gives fewer seeks in total. Squid
does NOT need a very high I/O rate on one single request.

---
Henrik Nordström
Sparetime Squid Hacker